<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/7183850?origin\x3dhttp://rainsteration.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
...

Monday, January 03, 2005
TSUNAMI
*nat*

Was rather sickened to hear about the latest Iraqi bombing of the police station. Really.
Most times I have to admit I'm quite apathetic about the whole Iraq situation because it's just too distant, and, in a way, easy for me to switch off, especially after they've hogged the headlines and front pages for a year.

But now with the earthquake and tsunami that hit SEAsia, (which I slept through although my building was apparantly swaying), and we realise in this part of the world, how lucky we really are, and how close we came to being lined up on the floor in an orange bodybag.
When they said Singapore is a sheltered harbour in social studies 10 years ago, I dint know exactly how sheltered. And I have never been more thankful for this than now.
Dec 26 2003 was marked by an earthquake that destroyed an ancient Iranian city. And this year, Dec 26 marked the date of the strongest earthquake in 40 years. Makes one wonder what Boxing Day 2005 will bring.

And after watching footage upon poignant footage of swirling, angry waters, and rows of corpses, and hordes of wailing relatives holding up pictures of missing persons, survivors who have cried their eyes dry and are silently waiting for news of their loved ones, and destruction of property and lives and means of livelihood, the last thing you need is to see that there are people who go set off explosions in police stations and after the explosion, "calmly walk in" and massacre the men inside, including 3 police commanders.

I am completely disgusted.